Sunday, February 12, 2006

The Decline of Brian's Aural Civilization Pt. 2: The Metal Years

Perhaps back in the day you saw the documentary, The Decline of the Western Civilization Pt. 2: The Metal Years. I don't remember much of it to be honest, but the title always gave me a chuckle. As I look back on these years, I do so with mixed feelings. I loved the music and was really into it, but the vast majority of the lyrical content of the songs, wasn't very helpful. I wasn't actively following Christ at this point in my life, but I still had a sense that these songs were "off" but I listened anyway. These days I'll pull out some of these CD's a play along. I still appreciate the music and the guitar playing can be fun and challenging. And, as much as I might want things to be different, this music was a big part of my life.

So, here it is, the best of my 'declined metal' years. (There will be a best of the metal years covering those records where the content is decidedly more favorable than un-favorable.)

1. Motley Crue, Shout at the Devil
The Crue was my favorite band from 3rd or 4th grade through high school. Shout was the first Crue cassette I bought. Favorite tracks include, Red Hot, Danger, and the title track

2. Motley Crue, Theatre of Pain
This was my favorite Crue record and I think I listened to it for a whole year straight with it never coming out of my boom box. Favorite tracks, Home Sweet Home, Raise Your Hands to Rock, and Use it or Lose It.

3.
Guns and Roses Appetite For Destruction
Sonically amazing, though lyrically appalling in many parts. Slash rocks, no doubt.
Favorite tracks, Paradise City, Mr. Brownstone, You're Crazy, My Michelle

4. Van Halen 1984
This record was huge back in the day. Favorite tracks, Panama, Top Jimmy, I'll Wait

5.
Dokken Under Lock and Key
Loved In My Dreams and 'til the Living End the rest is pretty solid too. George Lynch didn't create the greatest riffs in the world, but he can play.

6. Ozzy Osbourne Tribute
Ozzy always found awesome guitar players. Rhandy Rhoades death was tragic. Favortie Tracks, Crazy Train, Suicid Solution (solo) Goodbye to Romance and Dee.

7.
Poison Flesh and Blood
I love CC Deville. Ragging on CC was always the thing to do amongst guitar players but I loved his over the top style. Tracks: Ride the Wind, Unskinny Bop, Life Loves a Tragedy

8. Skid Row Slave to the Grind
Favorite tracks: Slave to the Grind, In a Darkened Room, Livin' On a Chain Gang



Honorable Mention:
Motley: Dr. Feelgood, Too Fast For Love, Girls Girls Girls,
Twisted Sister: Stay Hungry,
Poison: Open Up and Say Ah!,
Skid Row: Skid Row,
Ozzy: The Ulitmate Sin, No Rest for the Wicked, No More Tears


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home