Sunday, December 25, 2005

Favorite LP's 2

Given my first selection, I've decided to go in semi-chronological order. In other words, I'll start with the ones that were big for me under the age of 10 or so.

I don't remember how old I was- we'll call it 11- when I discovered, with a fair amount of shock, that my Dad had included this album (yes, album, vinyl) in the pile of other albums at the yard sale. I quickly grabbed it and brought it to him demanding an explanation. I didn't get much of one, but instead I got a gift. "Oh, you want that one? Okay."

This is one of those records that my dad played when I was a wee-little thing and I loved it. Every track is a winner. It would be quite impossible to pick only one track as a favorite, but if you held a gun to my head and forced me to choose, I would have to go with What do I Care. Or The Rebel- Johnny Yuma. Or The Big Battle.

As for Johnny Cash, you have to love the guy. From that great deep voice to the ultra-cool hair (did you see that picture?) to his later life granddaddy status, what's not to like? I read The Man in Black in the 5th grade and was struck by the powerful story and his deep faith. I have not seen the movie yet, but I look forward to seeing it eventually. As for genre, I'm not sure if this counts as a country album, because we all know Johnny is so rock-n-roll, but if it is, it is one of two country albums that I like (and the other will probably make an appearance here as well, but that remains to be seen.) Wait a minute, it may be three, but I think of John Denver as more folk than country. Perhaps I'm beginning to reveal too much.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home