Monday, May 24, 2004

Maybe I should change the name of my blog, eh? Perhaps, "Nothing" would be more appropriate than "Nothing Clever" given how much I have been blogging lately. I had a feeling this would happen. (See my first ever blog.) But hey, I won't give up just yet.

I had the opportunity to catch John Ortberg's teaching at the Emergent Convention and I heard some of Doug Pagitt's preaching at Rob Bell's church. (See my links). They had very similar things to say...so similar I wondered who was stealing who's sermon...or maybe they stole it from a third party. Or maybe they're buddies and discovered this together. Or maybe the Holy Spirit enlightened them both at the same time...or maybe...nevermind.

Anyway, we often talk about preaching the "good news". And that means telling people that Jesus Christ lived, died and rose again and that He died for our sin. But that leaves the question, "what's the good news that Jesus preached?"

Jesus preached, according to Mark's gospel, "The time has come. The kingdom of God is near. Repent and believe the good news." Jesus was telling people that the kingdom of God was open to them. Those who once were far off could now draw near. He didn't say anything (at least not early in His ministry) about dying and rising. He simply said the Kingdom is near. And this bit about repenting...to change one's mind, to turn...perhaps He was encouraging them to think differently. Like, "You have heard it said, love your neighbors and hate your enemies..." Reorienting our lives and minds to live in the flow of the Kingdom. Not knowing all the right answers on the eternal life quiz, but being kingdom people.

Interesting...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home