Monday, March 15, 2004

My 4 month old daughter has Tommy Hilfiger socks. Tommy Hilfiger. Tommy socks. If I say it enough maybe it might start to make some sense to me. I’m not sure where they came from. I figure it was from a generous friend or relative. At our worshipping community many commented, “How cute, she’s got Tommy Hilfiger socks.” I don’t find them cute. They disturb me. On the one hand, I’m grateful that someone bought my daughter socks. But on the other hand, there’s something insidious about Tommy socks that I can’t quite put my finger on.

Perhaps its because our culture seems to want kids to grow up so fast. They’re sexualized at such a young age. There’s a bit of that in the socks, but also just the blatant materialism and fashion consciousness, as if that would or should be remotely important to anyone, let alone an infant. Or maybe I’m just being stupid. I don’t know…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home