Wednesday, February 25, 2004

So I was playing hockey tonight and the game was going along fine. I had nice round numbers, 2 goals, 2 assists. I was playing the point, which is rare for me as I am much better suited to the forward position, but we had a lot of young, new guys playing, and you can't really trust young or new guys to play defense. Anyway, I managed to knock down a clearing attempt and turned quickly to fire the puck on net. Turn and fire I did, while simultaneously hearing a feeling a distinct "pop". The pop was in my side, as was the shooting pain. Seems that I have pulled or strained an oblique muscle. (Well, I'm no MD, but I'm willing to bet that's what an MD would tell me.)

So, I walked it off and went out for my next shift. Not too bad, a little soreness, but not too bad. Not too bad until my goalie gave me the puck behind the net, that is. I passed it up the wing and felt that all too familiar shooting pain again, so I went home. It hurts to bend over, it hurts to laugh, it hurts to turn. I iced it, took some Ibuprofen, and then took a shower. The hot shower seemed to help a lot, so I looked up "strains" on Web-Md.

As I suspected, it recommended ice and NSAID's (Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, like Ibuprofen) . Then there was an article about how NSAID's don't help muscle strains. Great! But it did say that some doctors might recommend heat as well as ice, so overall, I'm figuring I could be a could doctor. Makes sense, right?

It got me thinking, too. This guy I play softball with, Chuck, told me how having kids makes you worry more about getting hurt, and he's right. One of my first thoughts was, "Hmmm...I wonder how I'll pick up Kaylee since bending over hurts so much?" Not to worry, I've managed thus far. I'm not looking forward to going to bed though. Well, actually, I don't mind going to bed, it'll be the getting out of it that will probably be less than pleasurable.

The worst thing about all this? I got injured with a good 45 minutes left in our hockey night. No, I'm kidding. I just hope it's a quick recovery.

-B

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home