Sunday, March 21, 2004

"Did you forget the day he claimed you?
Not just an excuse for godparents to name you
When they poured water on your baby head
God reached down and you were dead...and raised again
Now it might seem like you weren't even there...but God cared,
He cared for you"

-Lost And Found The New New Song

We baptized Kaylee today. My denomination is unique in that it practices infant baptism (from it's Lutheran roots) as well as believer baptism (from the baptistic influence over the years). At some point a long time ago the denom. decided this was something not worth fighting over.

As a minister, I can have preference for either mode, but I must be able to articulate both dispassionately and be will to perform both. For a long time I leaned heavily to the baptistic side. Then I did a paper for a church history class on Luther's view of baptism. Needless to say, it changed my perspective tremendously.

It's a bit long to go into here, but the short version is that infant baptism seems to place the emphasis on God's work in salvation, rather than any decision or profession a believer might make.

Anyway, I love that Lost And Found song, and to me it really highlights this important fact: God loves my daughter and her salvation rests in His capable arms. To perform the baptism was a real privilege. Rock on, yo.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home