Monday, December 29, 2008

Best of Books 2008

Some time ago I decided to make my own end of year list. So, here it is, some of my favorites reads from this past year, in no particular order. In general, I like to have a “fun” book to read along with books that will help build my faith and broaden my understanding of who God is.

Postively False: The Real Story of how I Won the Tour de France by Floyd Landis with Loren Mooney.
This was one of my fun books. I had read it before, but decided to read it again. If nothing else, this book will make you want to, as Queen would say, "get on your bike and ride." A fascinating story, passionately delivered. Was Landis clean when he won? You be the judge.

The Year of Living Biblically by A.J Jacobs.
Reviewed here.

The New Christians: Dispatches from the Emergent Frontier by Tony Jones.
I have to say that it is the best book to help you get acquainted with Emergent and the emerging conversation. The book includes a brief history of how this group came to be and more importantly, it gives insights into the heartbeat of this group of Christians. There are several "dispatches" that offer insight into what is most important to these folks. Jones does a great job of not only presenting these dispatches, but also illustrating how they play out in real life, rather than simply stating them in abstract terms.

The Blueprint: How the New England Patriots Beat the System to Become the Last Great NFL Superpower by Chris Price
If you like the Patriots you’ll enjoy this book. It goes over some well covered areas, but is an interesting read nonetheless.


Simply Christian: Why Christianity Makes Sense by N.T. Wright
A great book…a conversational apologetic. Well worth your time.


Outlander by Diana Gabaldon
A woman goes back in time. Couldn’t put it down, but had a hard time getting into the sequel, which I never finished.


Surprised By Hope: Rethinking Heaven, The Resurrection and the Mission of the Church by N.T. Wright
Another great book, very helpful and very thought provoking.


Quiet Strength: The Principles, Practices, and Priorities of a Winning Life by Tony Dungy and Nathan Witaker
This one was given to me and I didn't want to read it for one simple reason: I'm a Patriots fan. I decided to pick it up one day and am glad I did. Tony's story is a good one.


Girl Meets God: On the Path to a Spiritual Life by Lauren Winner
Girl Meets God is Lauren Winner's memoir of her journey from Orthodox Judaism to Christianity. It is a delightful book, full of wisdom, insight and priceless little gems, all told in a humble, humorous and honest fashion.


Covert: My Years Infiltrating the Mob by Bob Delaney and Dave Scheiber
One of my “fun” books. I heard an interview with Delaney on the radio and decided to read his book. An inside look at the mob and how Delaney (now an NBA referee) infiltrated it as an undercover operative. Interesting read, to say the least.


Finding Our Way Again: The Return of the Ancient Practices by Brian McLaren
Amongst Brian’s best books. A practical and helpful look at spiritual practices.


The Honest to God Church: A Pathway to God's Grace by Doug Bixby
In The Honest to God Church, Doug advocates for churches to be the types of communities that could claim the saying, "I'm not okay, you're not okay." Doug contends that too often the church becomes either an "I'm okay, you're not okay" or an "I'm okay, you're okay" community and neither of those options is either accurate or helpful. Rather, by emphasizing grace and being communities of grace, we offer a means of transformation for all who are a part, or will be a part of our community.


The Shack by William Young
I enjoyed this book and was challenged by it. For a very thorough review of it, check out Ben Witherington’s review.


The Boys of Winter: The Untold Story of a Coach, a Dream and the 1980 US Olympic Hockey Team by Wayne Coffey
The story of the 1980 US Olympic hockey team. Told in a “what happened then and where are they now” way.



A Christianity Worth Believing by Doug Pagitt
Doug's spiritual memoir andhis hope filled theology.


True Story: A Christianity Worth Believing In by James Choung
A work of "creative non-fiction" (see McLaren's A New Kind... series), Choung offers an enlarged view of the gospel and a new way to share it.

1 Comments:

Blogger Matt Dionne said...

Awesome list. I have been meaning to check out The Shack by William Young for sometime.

9:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home